[tor-relays] Relays with very slow DirPorts

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:13:33 UTC 2016

Dear Relay Operators,

While I was checking fallback directory mirrors for #17158, I encountered some relays that took more than a minute to serve a consensus. Most took 150 seconds, which could be caused by a RelayBandwidthRate of 10 kilobytes a second.

One solution to this issue is to disable the DirPort on relays with a RelayBandwidthRate less than 50 kilobytes a second, or more than 30s to serve a consensus.
(This ticket also contains the python / stem code that I'm using to check the consensus download speed.)

But I don't actually know if it's the relays' torrc configuration that's causing the issue, or if their provider is limiting their speeds, or if there's some other issue.

If you're the operator of one of the relays listed below, can you let me know?
And if someone wants to investigate further, or contact these operators on their ContactInfo, that would be great.
(I don't have time right now, I'm trying to pull together a list of fallback directories before the 0.2.8-rc.)

This is an incomplete list of slow relay IPs and DirPorts, starting with those with the highest consensus weight:
217.198.117.122:80
212.47.250.44:80
158.69.112.86:80
50.7.178.34:80
191.101.251.172:80
51.254.249.177:80
188.165.232.40:80
104.236.38.231:8080
89.163.225.184:9030
185.31.230.69:9030
81.7.14.227:9030
62.210.238.33:9030
164.132.56.137:9030
212.107.149.145:9030
94.23.165.33:9031

Thanks

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F