[tor-relays] Minimum Relay/Bridge Bandwidth

Michael Armbruster tor at armbrust.me
Thu Mar 24 14:11:55 UTC 2016

> I must have misread something. According to this discussion:
> https://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/423/what-are-good-explanations-for-relay-flags/2144#2144
>
> 100KBytes is considered a fast relay. 100KBytes = 800Kbits = 0.8Mbits

Yes, you are right. According to the standards, 100KBytes/s or faster is
enough for a relay, true. I did not find that explanation, to be honest.

I just had the comments from this blog post in mind:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

The first comment and also the answer talks about exactly that. I would
say if you can provide stable 100KB/s or more, or you want to be an exit
node (then it's more important to have you listed anyway), you should
provide a relay. Other than that, be a bridge, that's important to the
network, too.

In your case, you should decide for yourself. Just do what you think is
right.

Michael Armbruster