[tor-relays] Minimum Relay/Bridge Bandwidth

Michael Armbruster tor at armbrust.me
Thu Mar 24 12:09:38 UTC 2016

> Our family recently downgraded our internet connection, which limited
> our upload speed to 1Mbps. According to the Tor relay doc, a minimum of
> 2Mbps is recommended, yet a relay is considered "fast" if it has 1Mbps.

I think you misread the documentation. 2Mbps is a recommended minimum,
but a relay is considered fast if it has 1 Megabyte/sec and Megabit (Mb)
and Megabyte (MB) are not the same.

> Will I be hurting more than helping if I run a relay on this connection
> speed? Should I run a bridge instead?

With 1Mbps, you have 125 Kilobytes/sec upload rate. I would say yes, run
a bridge instead. But let's see what other pepole say, eventually.

Michael Armbruster