[tor-relays] Exit relay funding

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Thu Mar 10 01:00:04 UTC 2016

On 03/09/2016 07:09 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:

> We have a saying in Italian that says "Chiedere è lecito, rispondere è
> cortesia".
> Roughly translated "Asking is allowed, answering is courtesy", that is
> you can ask for whatever you want, maybe somebody will respond, or
> don't, whatever.
>
> I am happy to see that there is a community where people can ask for
> and receive help in many forms.
>
> Of course, in general, if somebody wants to chip in funding remember
> that you can:
> * donate to Tor project
> * get together to run machines
> * donate to groups that run many machines (see torservers.net)
>
> We could start talking about which is the most efficient way to spend
> money, but should we?

Serendipitously I was telling my tax lady about the Tor Project and the
Electronic Frontier Foundation today. Being support troop on that level
is good. Being able to run a stable array of Tor exit nodes because
you've been able to acquire the necessary institutional knowledge due to
having reliable money stream is also good.

Presumably the fiscal and corporate diversity of the Tor network makes
for hybrid vigor. There's an old engineering maxim (which I believe
dates back to Voltaire) that "The best is the enemy of the good enough."
Accordingly you may plant yourself on Tor's fitness landscape wherever
you want. The environment is quite varied.