[tor-relays] Exit relay funding

Michael McConville mmcco at mykolab.com
Wed Mar 9 01:17:11 UTC 2016

I wrote:
> > Sorry but reading these kinds of things is kind of demoralizing.
>
> +1
> Perhaps crowdfunding a pool from which subsidies could be distributed
> would be fairer.

https://oniontip.com/

It isn't sufficient. I've got $6-10 from it in more than a year, and
almost all of that was because I was an "early adopter". Maybe it could
be better designed, but I'm not confident that that model will ever be
particularly useful.

Part of the reason is that the donations are portioned solely on
bandwidth share, along with guard and exit status. That discourages
carefully maintained relays on carefully selected hosts. In the worst
case (although I don't find it too likely, simply because there will
never be enough money), it could lead to a "get a free-ish VPS if you
run Tor on it!" situation.

I don't feel too obligated to defend my request, though. It's reasonable
for people donating large amounts of time and resources to occasionally
ask for support.