[tor-relays] Exit relay funding

Michael McConville mmcco at mykolab.com
Tue Mar 8 22:29:59 UTC 2016

Roman Mamedov wrote:
> Sorry but reading these kinds of things is kind of demoralizing. --
>
> I'm not going to do a "me too" post, but some of us pay for relays
> with their own funds for years, which easily do 30-40 MB/sec combined,
> receiving zero donations -- then some guy with a 3 MB/sec relay comes
> around and people jump at the chance to send him hundreds of Euros
> just because.

I'm a senior in college and I've been running relays on my own dime
since I was a senior in high school. This exit relay had to come down
unless someone chipped in, so I thought I'd ask. Also, it's a 6-8 MB/s
relay, unless you're only counting one direction of traffic.

> Oh I know mine are not Exit relays, so those are not special enough,
> nothing to see here, move along.

For what it's worth, exit relays generally cost more and are somewhat
more work because you have to:

 o find a company willing to host it, which rules out most hands-off
   budget providers

 o pay for a dedicated server (exits should usually be on dedicated
   servers, IMO, because their security is more critical)

 o deal with abuse complaints

 o make sure the packet filter policies and DNS are configured and
   working properly

I think it makes sense for the community to fund certain experienced
members' relays. Some of us are good operators but aren't at a stage in
life where we can consistently spend hundreds of dollars a year on
hosting. I'd be interested to hear ideas for funding infrastructure
beyond oniontip.com.