[tor-relays] Usability Improvements for Atlas (was Re: Globe is now retired)

Iain R. Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Wed Jun 29 20:05:05 UTC 2016

Hi All,

On 29/06/16 09:56, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> tl;dr: Globe is now retired in favor of an improved Atlas.

Atlas is improved, but I'd like to improve it further. I've been
tackling #6787 looking to improve the homepage and make Atlas easier to
use for someone that isn't already a Tor expert.

The changes I'm proposing in my fix for #6787 [1] do make some
noticeable UI changes and I just want to gather some opinions on whether
or not Atlas users feel that this is taking it in the right direction.

The "Top 10 Relays" page was added to Atlas in order to make sure that
functionality was not lost when shutting down globe. (See #5430 [2])

In my proposed patch, I'm also adding an "Authorities" page and adding
text to both of these pages to explain what you're seeing. These are
linked from the homepage, and from the top navbar.

I'm also moving the introduction and explanation of the Atlas features
from the About page to the homepage and introducing a new Help page that
explains the details that are found in the relay details pages.

You can find a live example of this patch at:

  https://irl.github.io/atlas/#/

and a full list of changes are detailed in #6787.

Please let me know if you can see any reason to not merge this, or if
you have any suggestions for small changes before merging.

Thanks,
Iain.

[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5430
[2]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6787