[tor-relays] Handling abuse - like to get your help please

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Mon Jun 20 14:46:59 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 04:05:23AM +0300, s7r wrote:
:Hello,
:
:Thanks for running an exit relay.
:That is just an automated email message. You do not want to reply to
:every single automated message you receive, firstly because these
:replies go into a black hole and they are not read by any humans, so
:your effort may be useless.

Yes.

The TOR exit we run here isn't an 'official service' but it is a well
well loved unofficial service. as such we are able to reject most
automated emails about our tor-exit at SMTP time with a terse reason
incase we're wrong and the bounce does go to a human.  Most exit
operators probably don't have that level of control over their mail
system but if you get a form letter throw it out becuase that's where
yor response will go.

We also run a webserver on the exit node with a single static page we
copied off somewhere on the tor project webpage:

http://tor-exit.csail.mit.edu/

Having an obvious DNS host name may or may not help, but if you can
arrange it I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

We also have a template respose saved in our ticketing system for
complaints we do think warrant a response:

Hello,

The source address 128.52.128.105 is a Tor exit node, and is not the origin point for the traffic in question. See http://tor-exit.csail.mit.edu (which is the host in your logs) for details.

That traffic did not originate locally at CSAIL or MIT, and we have no way of identifying the person who sent it or communicating with them.

For further information please read http://tor-exit.csail.mit.edu/ the bottom of this page includes information on how to block all Tor exits should you wish to do so (including links to get a list of all current Tor exits). Blocking traffic from this node would simply result in the problem traffic using a different exit.

Sincerely,
The Infrastructure Group
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory