[tor-relays] [warn] eventdns: All nameservers have failed

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Mon Jun 20 02:03:48 UTC 2016

Hello,

This warn is known for some time. It's safe to ignore this warning no
matter how many times you see it in your log file, IIRC it's a libevent
issue when DNS resolvers are idle. All my exit relays have multiple such
lines in the log files constantly.

It's highly important to run your own resolver on localhost 127.0.0.1
such as unbound or bind. Installation is pretty straight forward since
you need only a resolver. You will still get this warning even with your
own resolver hosted on localhost regardless if you use unbound or bind,
it's unrelated to this warning message, but using a local resolver will
help privacy of the users using your exit. It's the recommended way to
run exit relays.