[tor-relays] Filter Tor Exit Node for blatant attacks on servers

Jonathan Baker-Bates jonathan at bakerbates.com
Sun Jun 12 16:42:06 UTC 2016

A while ago I had a lengthy dicussion with my ISP about this. They wanted
me to run Snort on my exit to shut off variuos types of traffic coming from
it. In the end I agreed only to allow encrypted protocols to exit, which
placated them (and a subsequent bandwith limitation booted me out of the
exit pool in any case).

But along the way I asked some others about the legal implications of doing
what the ISP had asked. The rough consensus was that in the UK at least, I
would only be able to evesdrop on traffic once consent had been given by
those being monitored. Otherwise I'd be illegally wiretapping and open to
prosecution. But it was far from clear what would happen if somebody took
me a court!