[tor-relays] Relay Fingerprint Changed After Updates

Brian Kroll brian at fiberoverethernet.com
Sat Jun 11 17:10:07 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I had a weird event happen where the fingerprint of my relay changed
after updates to the OS. The host is running Debian 8.3 and the Tor
version was at 0.2.7.6 at the time of update. Apt was used to update
packages and the following packages were installed/upgraded.

libapt-inst1.5:amd64 (1.0.9.8.3)
libssl1.0.0:amd64 (1.0.1t-1+deb8u2)
libidn11:amd64 (1.29-1+deb8u1)
libtasn1-6:amd64 (4.2-3+deb8u2)
libxml2:amd64 (2.9.1+dfsg1-5+deb8u2)
libcairo2:amd64 (1.14.0-2.1+deb8u1)
libexpat1:amd64 (2.1.0-6+deb8u3)
libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.42.1-1+b1)
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common (2.31.1-2+deb8u5)
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:amd64 (2.31.1-2+deb8u5)
libgtk2.0-common (2.24.25-3+deb8u1)
libgtk2.0-0:amd64 (2.24.25-3+deb8u1)
libgtk2.0-bin (2.24.25-3+deb8u1)
libnettle4:amd64 (2.7.1-5+deb8u1)
libhogweed2:amd64 (2.7.1-5+deb8u1)
libksba8:amd64 (1.3.2-1+deb8u1)
apt-utils (1.0.9.8.3)
libxapian22 (1.2.19-1+deb8u1)
locales (2.19-18+deb8u4)
openssh-client (1:6.7p1-5+deb8u2)
openssh-sftp-server (1:6.7p1-5+deb8u2)
openssh-server (1:6.7p1-5+deb8u2)
openssl (1.0.1t-1+deb8u2)

After the updates completed I checked on the status of the relay and
noticed that it was not running and started the Tor process again. After
starting the process the fingerprint changed.

My relay BrownLine was 9504CB22EEB25D344DE63CB7A6F2C46F895C3686 and now
after updates is 9C8A123081EFBE022EF795630F447839DDFDDDEC.

I have looked through Tor logs and can find nothing of value but
heartbeat notices. I have also reviewed system logs and can find nothing
out of the ordinary.

Any thoughts on this? Any help would be appreciated. I will also open a
bug report if needed.

Thanks!

//Brian