[tor-relays] Sharing experience with Via Nano 1.6ghz with Padlock hw accel

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sun Jun 5 15:22:50 UTC 2016

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 17:01:29 +0200
"Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists" <lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:

> > Do you mean 60 Mbit? If so, then that's a very good result for only 30% CPU.
>
> It means that the padlock is doing it's job in making crypto  acceleration.

Without padlock I am seeing about 50% CPU use with 25 Mbit in + 25 Mbit out.

> >> There's a way to measure the uses of the hw acceleration given by the
> >> Via Padlock, if it's at 10% of it's capacity or 100% ?
> >
> > There is no way, the only hint you have is the general CPU load.
>

> That's the point, i want to measure how the padlock hw accel is
> performing, to understand if it does hit it's limits or not.
>
> I think that we need to find a way

It is not a separate accelerator device with its own throughput limits, it's
just a set of additional instructions in the CPU. Hence as long as you see CPU
load less than 100%, then no "limit" has been hit. Or if you see 100% CPU use,
then there's your answer, even with the padlock support it is now saturated.

--
With respect,
Roman