[tor-relays] Sharing experience with Via Nano 1.6ghz with Padlock hw accel

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Sun Jun 5 12:17:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 13:28:04 +0200
"Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists" <lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:

> I had to install to get the hw acceleration library:
> Tor version 0.2.8.1-alpha (git-9093e3769746742f).

Which OS do you use?

In my experience I had to recompile OpenSSL with the Padlock patch:
https://romanrm.net/openssl-padlock
And then Tor would simply crash if such patched OpenSSL is installed and
HardwareAccel is enabled in torrc. However I did not try the 0.2.8.1-alpha.

> In /etc/tor/torrc:
> HardwareAccel 1
> AccelName padlock

Do you get messages about successfully using 'padlock' in /var/log/tor/log?

> I see with iptraf 60.000kbit/s peak with 30% uses of main CPU.

Do you mean 60 Mbit? If so, then that's a very good result for only 30% CPU.

> I'm wondering if that small boxes are hitting a limit of the hardware
> acceleration or limit of the provider or Tor network itself.

Remember the Tor network won't instantly use 100% of your CPU or bandwidth
capabilities, it will take time to ramp up to speed:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

> There's a way to measure the uses of the hw acceleration given by the
> Via Padlock, if it's at 10% of it's capacity or 100% ?

There is no way, the only hint you have is the general CPU load.

--
With respect,
Roman