[tor-relays] Sharing experience with Via Nano 1.6ghz with Padlock hw accel

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Sun Jun 5 11:28:04 UTC 2016

Hello,

i wanted to share the experience in running a Tor Relay (no-exit) on a
small embedded computer costing 7eur/month at oneprovider with unlimited
1Gbps bandwidth (at least they say that):

VIA Nano processor U2250 (1.6GHz Capable)
2GB Ram

I had to install to get the hw acceleration library:
Tor version 0.2.8.1-alpha (git-9093e3769746742f).

In /etc/tor/torrc:
HardwareAccel 1
AccelName padlock

I see with iptraf 60.000kbit/s peak with 30% uses of main CPU.

I'm wondering if that small boxes are hitting a limit of the hardware
acceleration or limit of the provider or Tor network itself.

There's a way to measure the uses of the hw acceleration given by the
Via Padlock, if it's at 10% of it's capacity or 100% ?

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights