[tor-relays] OBFS-4 Bridge Relay with 0 clients seen in more than one month

demfloro demfloro at demfloro.ru
Fri Jun 3 00:32:07 UTC 2016

> Hi,
> I'm running a Tor relay which is working fine and a Tor Bridge Relay
> on port 995 (ORPort is 465) which is reachable from the outside that
> has been running for more than one month and has never been contacted
> by any client. I've tried to use it with Tor Browser from outside my
> own network and it works fine. Does it take so long for an OBFS4
> bridge relay to become known and used by someone?
>
> Best regards,
>    Freedom For All
Hello,
I started one bridge with on 443 port in April 2 on standalone IP address and it did not have any traffic for about a week IIRC.
Now it is used quite well:
Jun 02 17:19:57.000 [notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 29 days 17:59 hours, with 43 circuits open. I've sent 137.71 GB and received 131.83 GB.
Jun 02 17:19:57.000 [notice] Heartbeat: In the last 6 hours, I have seen 27 unique clients.
Jun 02 23:19:57.000 [notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 29 days 23:59 hours, with 63 circuits open. I've sent 140.81 GB and received 134.84 GB.
Jun 02 23:19:57.000 [notice] Heartbeat: In the last 6 hours, I have seen 38 unique clients

Although I do not use only obfs4 transport, here is line from torrc:
ServerTransportPlugin obfs2,obfs3,obfs4 exec /usr/bin/obfs4proxy managed

I suspect that if IP address is in Tor consensus then it's not that good as if bridge was on separate IP address. Main reason is because bridges are supposed to be "hidden". As I understood in your setup you have regular relay on port 465 and bridge on port 995, sharing the same IP address.