[tor-relays] switching between exit and guard

Dr Gerard Bulger gerard at bulger.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 07:16:37 UTC 2016

I have turned off all exits after worried ISP was forwarding too many abuse notices.  This is pending a solution which, if possible would send all exiting port data off to a local anonymous proxy or VPN server.

Anonymous proxies and VPN servers seem more impervious or tolerant to abuse notices than the ISPs.

A mod I would like to see is to have a facility to send the all the data on ports that are set to exit off to an external anonymous proxy server; https and/or socks.   Currently the httpproxy command in torrc does not do that.

I have tried to get my VPS, which has a second IP, to connect to a VPN server on that second IP for Tor to use for exit.  This is beyond my networking skills and attempts cuts off the branch I am sitting on, with mucked up routing for everything.

Anonymous VPNs and http proxies I have used are very cheap with no data caps and very fast.

Gerry