[tor-relays] BoingBoing Says Running Exits Is No Trouble re: LEA

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Sat Jul 9 20:36:42 UTC 2016

On 07/06/2016 01:09 PM, Green Dream wrote:
> Except the operators at BoingBoing have the privilege of corporate
> liability (instead of personal liability), and very likely corporate
> counsel (i.e., a nice legal team) as well.
>
> It seems easier to say "don't worry about it, it's not really a problem"
> from that perspective.
>
> For the average Tor volunteer operator, all that comfort, protection and
> privilege is gone. _My_ ass is on the line. Or at least it feels that way.
>
> I guess I'm saying, I wouldn't get too comfortable. Definitely not to the
> point of breaking rule #1 of running an exit -- don't do it from home.

Exits are best run from some corporate set-up for this very reason. They
have the legal infrastructure baked in, so to speak.

In there's one phrase you never want to be on the wrong side of, it's
"The way the law is written..."

In today's Slashdot article on "honions" the Library Freedom Project was
touted, and for very good reason.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/07/08/2034209/researchers-discover-over-100-tor-nodes-designed-to-spy-on-hidden-services#comments

So go to your local library's board meeting and tout Tor exits!