[tor-relays] interesting tor platform string or tor bug?

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Fri Jul 8 09:40:00 UTC 2016

nusenu:
> Yes, both relays on that IP  (same ORPort), changed from "Tor 0.2.7.6
> on Windows 8" to that non-ASCII string (that is why I knew he is
> probably running Windows 8).

Can this be undefined behavior of GetVersionEx() on Windows 10? (I'm not
able to verify this)

GetVersionEx() has been deprecated since Win8.1 [1]:

> With the release of Windows 8.1, the behavior of the GetVersionEx API
> has changed in the value it will return for the operating system
> version. The value returned by the GetVersionEx function now depends
> on how the application is manifested.

And tor still use it [2] on all Windows versions.

Maybe this version of tor is built from source and manifested for
Windows 10 (by auto)? I can't see anything related to 'manifestation' in
Tor's build scripts for Windows, so I guess that official binaries are
not manifested for Win8.1 or Win10 and detect Win10 as 6.2 (Win8).

[1]
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/common/compat.c#n2711

--