[tor-relays] What does this message mean in my tor logs?

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 19:29:35 UTC 2016

> On 28 Jan 2016, at 12:38, Pat Scharmer <pat at scharmer.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I’m running a server with a couple of relays and was getting good overall performance (120+ Mbps) up until a couple days ago. For the last two days, the log for one of the two relays is showing thousands of the following message:
>
> [notice] Resolved [scrubbed] which was already resolved ignoring

It seems that tor is getting duplicate DNS responses when it sends out a DNS query.
Are your resolvers configured correctly?

Have you configured a caching DNS resolver on your machine?
(This has been reported to increase throughput substantially.)

> Prior to yesterday, I hadn’t ever seen this message in my log (and the second relay on this same server/same IP is not showing any such messages). Since this started, my throughput has dropped from around 120Mbps to about 80Mbps. Looking around on the internet, I can’t find anything about this message. My server is running tor 2.7.6 on Ubuntu.

A misconfigured DNS resolver is one of the common reasons Exit throughput drops.

> The relay in question is: https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/FE67A1BA4EF1D13A617AEFB416CB9E44331B223A <https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/FE67A1BA4EF1D13A617AEFB416CB9E44331B223A>
Thanks for the fingerprint, Atlas confirms your relay is an Exit.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F