[tor-relays] DDoS attack on relay

Green Dream greendream848 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:32:21 UTC 2016

My hosting provider alerted me of a DDoS attack on one of my relays. It
started around 2016-01-26 12:42 UTC. They claim they tried "filtering,
routing, and network configuration changes" to mitigate the attack, but as
a last resort they temporarily disconnected the host from the network for 3
hours.

I know such attacks are not uncommon, but I'm curious if any other
operators experienced a DDoS around the same time?

I'm also curious to know more about the nature of such attacks -- what type
of attack was it, what is the general end goal of attacking a random Tor
(non-exit) relay, etc. My hosting provider is unable or unwilling to share
additional information.