[tor-relays] Opt-In Trial: Fallback Directory Mirrors

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 23:16:40 UTC 2016

> On 18 Dec 2015, at 06:03, starlight.2015q3 at binnacle.cx wrote:
>
> Relay 'Binnacle' experienced outages due to a
> loose fiber-option junction in the overhead
> wires that has been repaired.  I believe
> it would make the list if not for this
> and do not foresee further trouble.
> Available if desired.  Can configure IPv6
> on the HE tunnel here if helpful.

Once clients start bootstrapping over IPv6[0], more IPv6 fallback directories and relays would be helpful.

But I don't know enough about IPv6 tunnels in general and Hurricane Electric in particular to know whether a tunnel is advisable for a tor relay.

I think if a client is just using it for bootstrap, any extra latency shouldn't be an issue.
But IPv6 clients may also pick it as a guard, so that should be taken into account.

Should we be running relays over IPv6 tunnels?

Tim

[0]: We're working on it in https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17840 <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17840>

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F