[tor-relays] Suggestion to make Tor usage more disguised

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Sat Jan 16 15:51:13 UTC 2016

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:02:18 +0100
Raúl Martínez <rme at rme.li> wrote:
> Most of people are uneducated about what is Tor and what is used for.
> That can lead to trouble.
>
> I have used pluggable transports but they are too slow (50KB/s)

So run your own fast bridge?  It's relatively easy, and I assume that's
the main reason why it's slow since all of the non-meek transports are
relatively lightweight.

Anyway, I don't see the point of this.

People that care about masking Tor use should use Bridges with
pluggable transports and expect to take a performance hit for the
extra obfuscation.

People that do not use such things should assume that it is trivial to
figure out if they are using Tor.

It's worth noting that the obfuscation isn't perfect and people should
assume that it's possible to figure out if they're using Tor if they
are being actively targeted as well, but the various transports do
raise the bar by varying amounts.

Apart from the cases involving Bridges and PTs, explicitly hiding Tor
use is not in Tor's threat model either (and probably can't be without
a major re-design of how the network works, which is unlikely to
happen).

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel