[tor-relays] Revised Opt-In Trial: Fallback Directory Mirrors

12xBTM 12xbtm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:56:53 UTC 2016

On 12.1.16 9:47, Toralf Förster wrote:
> On 01/12/2016 05:35 AM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:
>> If you run an under-utilised exit, we encourage you to opt-in as a
>> fallback directory.
>> We've also fixed a major bug that excluded some relays from the list.
>
> Well, I to amintain an exit with 8 MB advised bandwith, utilized currently by 50%:
>
> https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/F1BE15429B3CE696D6807F4D4A58B1BFEC45C822
>
> Anything I should add to my torrc ?

Not unless your server is bottlenecking your node, such as insufficient
RAM, or one thread being maxed out. Right now, most exit nodes are being
utilized ~50% of their advertised bandwidth capacity because that is the
overall usage of the Tor exit network. So, if your exit node is using
<50% of all it's performance power (such as CPU, bandwidth, RAM, etc.),
then I'd say it's currently being under-utilized and would qualify for
the fallback directory opt-in (and if the other criteria are met),
should you so choose.

On the flip side, if your node is using ~50% of it's advertised
bandwidth and is using 80% of it's CPU power or actual bandwidth to do
so, that's a misconfiguration and not a good candidate for a fallback
directory.