[tor-relays] Revised Opt-In Trial: Fallback Directory Mirrors

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 04:35:39 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Nick sent an email in December[0] asking relay operators to opt-in as a fallback directory mirror.
This will help tor clients reach the tor network, and reduce the load on directory authorities.[1]

We will keep the opt-ins and opt-outs submitted so far - no need to opt-in or opt-out again!

If you run an under-utilised exit, we encourage you to opt-in as a fallback directory.
We've also fixed a major bug that excluded some relays from the list. (Thanks starlight!)

Here's the latest list of fallback directory candidates:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/15775/fallback_dirs.inc.20160112 <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/15775/fallback_dirs.inc.20160112>

This list was generated a few minutes ago from scripts/maint/updateFallbackDirs.py in my branch fallback-17887-17888-18035 on [2]. (This branch has some bug fixes compared to what's in master.)

Tim

[0]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2015-December/008361.html <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2015-December/008361.html>
[1]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/FallbackDirectoryMirrors <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/FallbackDirectoryMirrors>
[2]: https://github.com/teor2345/tor.git <https://github.com/teor2345/tor.git>

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F