[tor-relays] How to update tor on my raspberry

Jannis Wiese mail at janniswiese.com
Sun Jan 10 14:43:02 UTC 2016

Hi Volker,

as you’re running version 0.2.4.27, you still seem to be on Debian/Raspbian wheezy. If you’re using your Raspberry Pi just as a relay (as I do), it’s safe to recommend the upgrade to jessie, which already includes a newer version of the tor package (0.2.5.12).

If you have a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, on wheezy you can add

> deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org wheezy main
> deb-src http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org wheezy main

or when you’ve upgraded to jessie, add

> deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jessie main
> deb-src http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jessie main

to /etc/apt/sources.list (as shown in the Tor installation guides [0]). Then you will be able to upgrade to the latest release (currently 0.2.7.6).
If you have the “old” Model A/A+/B/B+, you’re “stuck” with the version the Raspbian repository gives you, because of an incompatible hardware architecture (if you want to know more about this, read [1], essentially it says it’s armhf but it actually is armel).

I hope that helps for now!

Cheers,
Jannis

[0] https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu <https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu>