[tor-relays] Why is Tor trying to check the wrong ORPort/DirPort addresses?

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:13:02 UTC 2016

> On 9 Jan 2016, at 00:03, David Tomic <david at tomic.com.au> wrote:
>
> I have already done that, so that doesn't appear to be the problem.  I see exactly the same problem even when I'm only starting up a single instance.  Tor binds everything to the correct ip:port, but the reachability test always tries to connect to the .102 ip address.

What IP addresses does Tor mention in its log as it is starting up?

> Is it possibly something to do with the way that my network interfaces are configured?  FWIW I haven't actually touched anything there, it's still exactly how it was originally provided to me by the host:

It appears that the Address option hasn't been applied, and Tor is still guessing based on the IP address of the last interface.
Please send a HUP to your tor instances after changing their configs, or restart them entirely.

As a separate issue, Tor really should use the addresses from the ORPort or DirPort to check reachability (what if they're different?), and fall back to Address if there isn't an explicit address set for either port. This might mean setting Address based on the ORPort address. (But what if they conflict?)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F