[tor-relays] Debugging my small relay

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Fri Jan 8 10:17:11 UTC 2016

Am 08.01.2016 um 07:33 schrieb Tim Wilson-Brown - teor:
> What matters is the bandwidth it can contribute to censored users.
> The advertised bandwidth is 100KB/s, which is somewhat low for a bridge.
> As far as I recall, 250KB/s is considered a good minimum for a bridge.

Yes, I'm aware of this "recommended minimum". But it's not me limiting
bandwidth artifically, it's what the current hardware delivers. These
100 kB/s come for free, raising them would come with a price tag (xx
Euros per month).

So the question is wether to take these 100 kB or wether to stop the
relay entirely. I could well imagine such small contributions are more
than nothing. I could also imagine to see thousands of such small
relays, because they cost nothing and run barely noticeable to the
non-Tor, everyday traffic. "Help freedom of speech at no cost" sounds
really good, many others could chime in, if approached by some
marketing. If there were thousands of them, their bandwidth would add
up, right?

Another consideration is that it doesn't matter too much wether the
bandwidth is actually used. I _could_ be used, raising the obfuscation
the Tor network relies so heavily on.

What do you think?

Markus

--