[tor-relays] tor hidden services & SSL EV certificate

Jesse V kernelcorn at riseup.net
Fri Jan 1 23:25:26 UTC 2016

On 01/01/2016 10:21 AM, Josef Stautner wrote:
> You can use an Amazon EC2 G-Instance and Scallion if you don't have a
> good GPU.

That is not a good idea, since then you are given them your private key.
I trust Amazon, but not that much. People have posted on the /r/onions
or /r/tor subreddit with similar pay-for-prefix services, and they
continue to get shot down for this same reason. It's better to
brute-force the prefix yourself.

Facebook's onion prefix is impressive, but I think it was a coincidence
and good luck, which is also reiterated in this blog post:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/facebook-hidden-services-and-https-certs

--
Jesse V