[tor-relays] Problem starting tor after upgrading to ubuntu

James Moore hello at jmoore.me
Fri Jan 1 23:18:21 UTC 2016

Thank you for the pointer. Unfortunately aa-logprof doesn't display anything after putting the tor profile in complain mode and attempting to start it a few times. I happened to set up a hidden service today on a machine that never had tor installed before so I decide to diff the two machines. On a broken host I saw 3 files in /lib/systemd/system

tor.service
tor at default.service
tor at .service

whereas the new machine just had tor.service. I removed the two extra files and copied the contents of the good tor.service to the broken host then ran

systemctl reload tor
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl start tor

Tor then started up as expected. So it appears the the problem had to do with these systemd configuration files. I can't provide much more info than that unfortunately.

James