[tor-relays] What do the huge providers have to do within tor circuits?

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 08:12:41 UTC 2016

> On 29 Feb 2016, at 06:20, torserver at datakanja.de wrote:
>
> From my gathering, tor is - at times - connecting to many instances of
> akamai CDN services, amazonaws, and other similar services
> simultaneously. When i say many instances, i mean: a saw a peak exposure
> of 30 outgoing ports from my server all going to the above 2 alone (as
> gathered by iftop. I didn't set up snort just yet).

People run relays at AWS and other similar services.
Are those IP addresses and ports in the Tor consensus, or not?
(Type an IP address in https://globe.torproject.org/ <https://globe.torproject.org/> and check the ports in the relay entries to find out.)

> This is seen on a NON-Exit-relay and is troubling me: I am aware of
> Akamai being the premier CDN provider, serving around 30% of internet
> traffic alone. Their server power, manpower and know-how is huge. And
> their ability to draw information from any sort of internet traffic is
> unparalleled.

Please check your torrc and your entry in globe to make sure you're a non-exit relay.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F