[tor-relays] Any known Tor relay seizures (in Germany)?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sun Feb 28 23:57:35 UTC 2016

On 02/29/2016 12:47 AM, Thomas wrote:
> do you know of any relay seizures of non-exit relays?
> In the legal FAQ [1] this "risk" is only listed below exit relays.
> Have there been any of such events in Germany (either exit- or any other nodes)?
>
> Would I have to worry about seizures if I run a guard or middle relay
> in Germany?

Highly unlikely. A non-exit relay only forwards encrypted traffic
'within' the Tor network. To my knowledge, nobody has ever received any
(law enforcement or even other) inquiry regarding a non-exit relay anywhere.

The risks for seizures of exit relays are also minimal. What can happen
if you run them as individual is that the police comes with a warrant
and raids you because they assume you were the criminal (and then later
return everything and the case against you is dropped since running an
exit itself is legally just fine), but I haven't heard of any case like
that in the past years. They have all seemed to have learned what Tor
is, and all they do sometimes is ask for 'subscriber information' (which
you don't have).

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/