[tor-relays] Netflix overblocking non-exit Tor relays

john saylor js0000 at riseup.net
Sun Feb 28 17:00:59 UTC 2016

On 02/28/16 11:42, Jamis Hartley wrote:
> Because the support people in the call center are not IT people. They
> don't understand computers and were never trained with tor nodes. They
> were literally given cookie cutter responses to tell you when you come
> and say that you are being blocked because of a proxy.

but no one ever said that it even might be a tor node [or even a
"proxy"] on my network to me. it was just all about my local hardware,
and account and so on ...

when i called i said netflix worked yesterday and not today. there were
no changes to my network in this time period.

so then what changed? [answer: netflix policy]

the error message was vaguely about proxies, but since my tor node is
only a relay, i am not using it as a proxy at all. and it was never
brought up in the support call in any way ...

in fact, after my initial statement about the message on the screen, i
don't think proxies were mentioned ever again. i was told just remove
netflix from roku, sign in, sign out, put your right foot in, put your
right foot out, and that's what it's all about

also, someone besides the support engineer i spoke with wrote the cookie
cutter responses and *they* must have a clue. if tor nodes are being
blocked someone knows enough to figure out how to block them.

if their policy is to block tor nodes, then say it. netflix has gobs of
cash and customer support is important to any company that makes money
with network services.

but it was never said. in fact i was instructed to do just about
everything else ...

--
\js: !