[tor-relays] Hidden Service on several relays + same .onion

Pierre L. petrus at miosweb.mooo.com
Sat Feb 27 12:39:57 UTC 2016

Hey all,

Thinking about having fun with hidden-service webhosting on few relays.

If I'm not wrong :
Host DNS name .onion of a server is stored in the file
/var/lib/tor/hidden_service/hostname,
there's another file private_key...

So my idea is to host the same website on 2 relays with different WAN
IP, fingerprint, etc.......
But if I copy those 2 files "hostname" + "private_key" on 2 or 3.......
relays, will it be ok ?
With this set up, if 1 relay is down, the 2nd can be reachable with the
same .onion DNS name ?
Will this failover method work, or will be it a mess with 2-3 relays
with the same .onion name ?

Do someone have tried this ?

Thx all!