[tor-relays] Reminder: exit nodes probably shouldn't be using Google's DNS servers

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Thu Feb 25 12:47:04 UTC 2016

The OpenNIC servers may not be appropriate for use by a high-speed Tor
exit relay.

I run an OpenNIC DNS server, and my VPS vendor insisted that I
rate-limit the server to avoid it being used as a DDOS vector.  I'm
guessing that this is not an uncommon position to take for public DNS
servers.

The OpenNIC servers you select for use may be perfectly fine for your
level of use but don't assume it is automatically true.