[tor-relays] [WARN]Failing because we have 4063 connections already. Please read doc/TUNING for guidance

Julien ROBIN julien.robin28 at free.fr
Sun Feb 21 11:57:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

I think it's a problem of amount of file descriptors : depending on the user, you have a limited amount of file descriptor that can be used (inside the tor's code, file descriptors are also used as handle/identifier for all network connections).

I think the max amount of it (for a given user) can be checked with the command "ulimit -n" as this user.

When I had 2 tor clients running (the second launched manually by a user named "tor2"), I modified the "limits.conf" file, adding those 2 lines at the end :

#*               soft    core            0
#root            hard    core            100000
#*               hard    rss             10000
#@student        hard    nproc           20
#@faculty        soft    nproc           20
#@faculty        hard    nproc           50
#ftp             hard    nproc           0
#ftp             -       chroot          /ftp
#@student        -       maxlogins       4
tor2             soft    nofile          100000
tor2             hard    nofile          100000

May be it needs a restart, or it doesn't apply to what have been started by "tor2" user before the modification
When tor is launched by /etc/init.d/tor start may be this haven't to be done manually.

That's all I know about it, hope it will help you to find and correct the problem !

Best regards,
Julien ROBIN