[tor-relays] Mexico ISP blocking authority nodes and preventing exit relays.

Ricardo Malagon Jerez rjmalagon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:09:31 UTC 2016

I suspect that Telmex ISP, Mexico biggest by far, found a very surgical way
to prevent relays.
Atlas only show a small group of Mexican relays, all of them in other ISP.

Tor client (and I2P) works well, and the hidden services too. Pluggable
transports and/or the tor alpha make easy to bypass this little nuance.

Usually Telmex ISP does not implement any kind of wide censorship, is
generally pretty open. I think this a very smart attack to tor
infrastructure, it does not prevent tor in general, but almost all the exit
traffic will go to outside the country, and little traffic will mix between
Mexican tor clients that choose having a relay.

For me, I will try to make stone arguments for a little David/Goliath
action, because Telmex works like "that is not a problem if others are not
complaining" , "Facebook is working, right?"

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:47 AM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor <teor2345 at gmail.com