[tor-relays] Nameservers fail and come back at the same time?

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Feb 2 16:10:26 UTC 2016

Hello,

This isn't new, and it happens with any DNS resolver (ISP resolver,
Google or OpenDNS, custom DNS resolver on localhost running unbound or
bind, etc.).

I have experienced it on all the exits I ever run, it's the most
common warning. There's a ticket for it opened by me:

When I opened the ticket, we thought it may be a libevent issue; that
makes the nameserver look down while it is not, but see comment 6 in
the linked ticket - that might be a cause also.

In the mean time until we resolve this just keep the exit running with
a localhost unbound or bind resolver and don't use Google or OpenDNS
resolvers. It's best that an exit relay runs its own resolver.