[tor-relays] Disparity between download and upload traffic

Gage Parrott gcparrott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 16:47:09 UTC 2016

Morning, everyone,

I recently migrated my bridge relay over to a VM and everything seems to be
working fine except for one oddity.  I consistently see lines like this in
tor's log file on the new machine:

Dec 25 23:48:14.000 [notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 4 days 5:59 hours,
with 43 circuits open. I've sent 1.78 GB and received 28.37 GB.
Dec 25 23:48:14.000 [notice] Heartbeat: In the last 6 hours, I have seen 2
unique clients.
Dec 26 05:48:14.000 [notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 4 days 11:59 hours,
with 105 circuits open. I've sent 1.87 GB and received 29.24 GB.
Dec 26 05:48:14.000 [notice] Heartbeat: In the last 6 hours, I have seen 2
unique clients.

Notice the amount of data sent and received.  Can anyone think of why there
would be such a large discrepancy between the amount of traffic downloaded
versus uploaded?  This behavior persists after reboots, as well.

I thought maybe it was downloading a ton of directory data, but is there
really a GB's worth of directory data to download every six hours??  Also,
the logs on my old machine (pre-migration, one line pasted below for
reference) indicated that nearly the same amount of data was being sent as
was being received.  Any ideas on why would this have changed?

Dec 07 06:02:03.000 [notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 4 days 6:12 hours,
with 78 circuits open. I've sent 33.71 GB and received 33.47 GB.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks a bunch and merry Christmas!

gp