[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:47:58 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: tor-relays [mailto:tor-relays-bounces at lists.torproject.org] On Behalf
Of David Serrano
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:36 PM
To: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic
IP

On 2016-12-22 19:24:25 (+0200), Rana wrote:

>> 2. "Residential lines in particular ... hardware caves when too many
>> connections are open in parallel" - this appears to be plain
>> incorrect. [...] ith 1300 simultaneous connections.

>His statement is right. 1300 connections are not a lot. I used to have a
symmetric 20 megabytes/second line and the router provided by my ISP would
reboot when reaching around 3600 >connections. Happily, they provided FTTH
so I was able to put a linux box instead of said router and reach 13k conns.

You are a part of a minuscule group of people who have a 160 mpbs symmetric
connection to the home, and the first one I run into in my life. I therefore
doubt that your example is relevant to the discussion - almost everybody
else on the planet does not have this kind of bandwidth to the home, and
cannot saturate a $35 Raspberry Pi with his Tor traffic because their
bottleneck is ISP bandwidth, not hardware. Which was my point.

--
 David Serrano
 PGP: 1BCC1A1F280A01F9