[tor-relays] Unwarranted discrimination of relays with dynamic IP

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:25:11 UTC 2016

So my question to the community is as follows: does the Tor community want these small, cheap relays scattered in large quantity around the world, or not?

I realize there could be pros and contras. Among the contras there could be (for example) many small relays overloading the dirauths. I would like to hear more about the contras.

Among the pros there could be increased security and anonymity, as it would take adversaries a bigger effort to infiltrate the network by establishing rogue relays. Also could be invaluable as bridges to help people under repressive regimes overcome censorship. Tor is gradually getting killed there.

My general impression is that the current DirAuth and bwauths policies are stuck at some old paradigm where small bandwidth relays are dismissed without good reason, and tons of bandwidth gains and especially diversity and anonymity benefits are foregone

Additional info about my experiment: I have just fired up an additional relay on Pi Zero. That's a fucking $9 Tor relay, including flash card and case.  Looks like an oversized USB stick and plugs directly into a USB port of a computer. No need even for power supply. CPU utilization - negligible, total memory utilization (including Tor) 20%. No need to waste $35 on a Pi 3 which is grossly underutilized by the DirAuths.