[tor-relays] Tor Relay on ARM server Marvell Armada 370/XP

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Tue Dec 20 13:24:47 UTC 2016

Hello,

i'm experimenting Tor setup on very cheap servers from scaleaway.com
that run a quad-core ARM Marvell Armada 370/XP servers but have
unlimited bandwidth.

Those are Soc platform:
http://natisbad.org/NAS2/refs/Marvell_ARMADA_370_SoC.pdf

I saw no information on torproject mailing list about those SOC.

I'm trying to push the limits and i saw that those have a crypto
acceleration support:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/crypto/marvell-cesa.txt

However with kernel 4.5.7 it does not really work and loading of
marvel-cesa gives out error:
[6.841862] marvell-cesa: probe of d0090000.crypto failed with error -22

:(

I've only built latest Tor 0.2.9 with -O9 -mcpu=marvell-pj4
-mtune=xscale and the Tor Relay is at
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/82C63C5D61D17557B7C5D0E7FDC545A2B6B6B7E0
.

Does someone have experienced optimizing and tuning Tor specifically on
ARM processors to understand how far those could be optimized?

-naif