[tor-relays] asymmetry in connections

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 03:21:38 UTC 2016

> On 17 Dec. 2016, at 06:19, Ivan Markin <twim at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>    o  TLS connection is not going to terminate if no circuits left on it*
>
> [*] I may be wrong about it. It holds true from my experience.

It takes about a week for a TLS connection to close if there is traffic on it, or a few minutes if there is no traffic:

Relays close circuits with no streams and no traffic on then after a minute in circuit_expire_old_circuits_serverside.

Old TLS connections in tor are marked not to be used for new circuits after 7 days in connection_or_group_set_badness_.

Most client circuits last a maximum of 10 minutes (longer if they are being used, or for hidden service introduction point circuits, which last up to 24 hours) in circuit_expire_old_circs_as_needed.

(As an aside, TLS certificates are rotated every 2 hours in rotate_x509_certificate_callback.)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org