[tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment?

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:21:30 UTC 2016

On 14 December 2016 at 11:42, Andreas Krey <a.krey at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:43:28 +0000, teor wrote:
> > The bwauth calculations do take latency into account, and they should:
> > if CPU usage or bandwidth are near their limit, the latency through the
> > relay will be high.
>
> I stand corrected.
>
> I observed my relays (a few years ago) to often run into the bandwidth
> limit,
> aka 'flatlining', and this having latency. I then started to set lower
> advertised bandwidth, and this went away. Problem here is that these are
> short-term event in relation to the bandwidth probes, so the probing
> can't really control this.

> > This has the drawback that relays located away from the US/Western
> > Europe get poor scores.
>
> What kind of latencies are we talking about here? And how much
> latency makes up for what bandwidth?

Looking at
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/707A9A3358E0D8653089AF32A097570A96400CC6
it has a latency like I would expect and not worse than most users in EU so
latency doesn't seem to really be the problem:

65ms from London
200ms from US west coast
300ms from Japan

Using the same IPs my best relay (at home) with a consensus weight of 62400
and 20MB/s advertised bandwidth has:

5ms from London
120ms from US west coast
220ms from Japan