[tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment?

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Wed Dec 14 11:42:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:43:28 +0000, teor wrote:
> The bwauth calculations do take latency into account, and they should:
> if CPU usage or bandwidth are near their limit, the latency through the
> relay will be high.

I stand corrected.

I observed my relays (a few years ago) to often run into the bandwidth limit,
aka 'flatlining', and this having latency. I then started to set lower
advertised bandwidth, and this went away. Problem here is that these are
short-term event in relation to the bandwidth probes, so the probing
can't really control this.

> This has the drawback that relays located away from the US/Western
> Europe get poor scores.

What kind of latencies are we talking about here? And how much
latency makes up for what bandwidth?

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."