[tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment?

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Wed Dec 14 09:36:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 10:47:12 +0000, Rana wrote:
> I want to reiterate my opinion that Tor network is "mistreating" home-based relays without good reason:

I was just about to jump in and state that it is similar with
lower-bandwidth regular relays, but I checked.  I have two relays, one new
(https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/5B1F0DAF378A1FAFCFD5FA9CDC66D1023DC0276E)
and one moved at that time
(https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/26220AEA188B8D0E47BB541E1A616EB3AD70295F),
and the latter was doing a lot less that you would suspect from ratio
of the advertised bandwith of the two relays.

But this apparently changed after two months of operation, and now q is
moving data as expected. So it seems patience does play a part here.
(See the year graphs.)

> A. The fact that the Authorities are located in West Europe and North America does not mean that the USERS are there.

That does not matter - they themselves are well connected, and measure
bandwidth, not ping times. It might just be that home dsl providers
have bad peering, as rumoured for german telekom and some north american
providers. Putting bandwidth auths behind some net curtain would optimize
the bandwidth measurements for that specific curtain, which would not
help people behind other curtains with different holes/peerings. The
question is what volume a relay can carry, and not how well it is
connected to a particular place in the world.

- Andreas

> B.  There are about 7000 relays total, many of them probably limping just like my 2 relays and not being useful. There are tens of thousands of Pi owners who have their Pis just sitting there and many of them would be happy to run relays if Tor network would let them do so usefully.

I may soon have an opportunity to hook up a pi to a sufficiently large
pipe. (My home connection makes such things pointless.)

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>