[tor-relays] Does the "Advertised bandwidth" correlates with the "Consensus Weight"

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 21:05:48 UTC 2016

> On 13 Dec. 2016, at 03:28, Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I do wonder if the measurement of the former is somehow affected by the later ?

> Toralf

Yes, the bandwidth authorities measure the bandwidth, then calculate
the ratio between the advertised and measured bandwidths. This becomes
the consensus weight (after averaging, and then taking the low-median
of votes).

Clients choose relays based on consensus weight, which then affects the
bandwidth they carry, which affects the observed bandwidth, which is
one of the factors that feeds into the measured bandwidth.

Part of the calculation process for the consensus weight makes sure
that this feedback converges, rather than diverging.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org