[tor-relays] Second relay on same ESX

balbea16 balbea16 at gmx.de
Mon Dec 12 06:36:39 UTC 2016

Hi Tim,TNX for your fast response. That was more or less what I thought already. Mike

Von: teor <teor2345 at gmail.com>
Datum: 12.12.16  07:28  (GMT+01:00)
An: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
Betreff: Re: [tor-relays] Second relay on same ESX

> On 12 Dec. 2016, at 17:08, balbea16 <balbea16 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi
> Are you actually talking about identical relays, i.e. with the same fingerprint? That would be interessting for me, as I'd like to run a second Rasp Pi in parallel for redundency reasons.
> Mike

Please don't run a second relay on the same fingerprint.
Your relay won't get much traffic, because it will look like
its address and ports are changing all the time.

Instead, run two relays with different keys, and let the
network load-balance between them.

Tim

> Von: Patrick DERWAEL <patrick at derwael.be>
> Datum: 12.12.16 06:41 (GMT+01:00)
> An: tor-relays at lists.torproject.org
> Betreff: Re: [tor-relays] Second relay on same ESX
>
> John,
> The host has 32GB RAM& 4 CPUs
> I have allocated 2GB & 2CPUs to my VM
> As the VM CPU usage is +/-40%, I'm not sure if I should reduce to 1CPU (would it then be used at 80% average?)
>
> P.

> Patrick,
>
> I run all of my relays under VMware  and I don't have any issues at all.
>
> How many CPUs do you have in the physical server and how many virtual CPUs do you have assigned to the VM?
>
> John
>
> On Dec 11, 2016, at 11:19, Patrick DERWAEL <patrick at derwael.be> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm running a relay in a VM on a physical server which is largely under used
>> Current advertised bandwidth 26MB, consensus 76500
>> I'm considering running a second relay (2nd VM) on the very same hardware, but this brings a few questions:
>>
>> - is there any issue running it at the same geographical place?
>> - would the current total BW effectively consumed (26MB) be divided in 2 (i.e. no added value in BW)?
>> - basically, would it have any significant added value to the network?
>>
>> Thanks

> --
> Patrick Derwael
> Rue de la fontaine, 3