[tor-relays] The t-shirt organization thingy (was: Network scan results for CVE-2016-5696 / RFC5961)

Michael Armbruster tor at armbrust.me
Sun Dec 11 22:31:52 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-11 at 22:50, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> You need to email tshirts@, include your fingerprints, and then wait
> weeks or months until the one poor person that is processing all the
> requests and all the requests from the campaign and also has other hats
> to get to it.
>
> It's a thank you gift. I don't mean you, pa011, when I say this, but in
> general I would expect a bit more gratitude and understanding what it
> means to run a small understaffed organization. :(
>
> Moritz

Hi Moritz,

I do understand that it's hard to run an organization with too few
people, it's my daily life working for staff at my university (I am the
only administrator for 16 tablets, 34 laptops, 3 servers and 7
thinclients, and we are not allowed to use centralized tools, I have to
administrate all of these devices manually), so there are definitely all
my "thank you"s I can give.

But I, for example, didn't even get an answer first, I would even love
to get an automated email saying "Sorry if it takes a very long time, we
are overwhelmed by the work we currently have to do" (waiting for almost
7 months now by the way). After 2-3 months I got an answer when we
talked about that topic via this list in summer (though nothing official
besides the mailing list talk). The problem is that only one person
handles the shirts and it's ok even if I have to wait another 7 months
or so (it's a gift at all, as you already said).

It's just that you/we/they should change something about the handling of
the situation. It was (and for others most probably still is) the lack
of communication that frustrates eligible relay operators so much.

But to conclude, thanks for all the work towards Tor and everything.
Everybody has to give his work and support, so we can stand for free
Internet (free as in freedom, not as in free beer). This was not meant
to be against you, it was only in response to your mail because you got
to this topic :)

Best,
Michael