[tor-relays] Inconsistent BW measurements of unused relay

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:02:42 UTC 2016

> On 12 Dec. 2016, at 08:43, Rana <ranaventures at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 12 Dec. 2016, at 01:56, Rana <ranaventures at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK Tim thanks for the answers, I appreciate your patience with me
>>> [even though I "lack programming skills" :) ]
>>>
>>> The one answer of yours that still does not make sense to me is that
>>> arm actually means Kbytes/sec and not kbits/sec  when it writes Kb/s
>>>
>>> I have arm reporting average  of at least several tens of Kb/s all the time, and about 100 Kb/s most of the time,  and then I wind up with almost constant 200 bit/sec actual average rate over 6 hours, based on the total number of Mbytes sent that Tor reports in its log file.
>>>
>>> Even if the 200 bit/sec figure is somehow rounded to 8000 bit/ sec or
>>> even 8000 bytes/sec as you suggested , this does not make sense…
>>
>> Ok, so you didn't say that to start with, you seemed to be saying that it was constantly showing 100 kb/s.
>>
>> Perhaps arm is displaying your maximum bandwidth over a certain time?
>> (I really don't now what bandwidth arm measures.)
>
> I do not have a slightest freaking idea and this arm thing seems to have been written by anarchists who thought that documentation was too bourgeois

Maybe you think this is clever snark.
But some people might not want to help you if you talk like that.

There is extensive documentation for arm and stem (the backend library
used by arm). It's some of the best documentation I've seen.

Here is the documentation for arm:
https://www.atagar.com/arm/

Here is the documentation for stem:
https://stem.torproject.org/index.html

In particular:
https://stem.torproject.org/api/descriptor/server_descriptor.html

• average_bandwidth (int) -- * average rate it's willing to relay in bytes/s
• burst_bandwidth (int) -- * burst rate it's willing to relay in bytes/s
• observed_bandwidth (int) -- * estimated capacity based on usage in bytes/s

And:
https://stem.torproject.org/api/descriptor/extrainfo_descriptor.html

	• read_history_end (datetime) -- end of the sampling interval
	• read_history_interval (int) -- seconds per interval
	• read_history_values (list) -- bytes read during each interval
	• write_history_end (datetime) -- end of the sampling interval
	• write_history_interval (int) -- seconds per interval
	• write_history_values (list) -- bytes written during each interval

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org