[tor-relays] Inconsistent BW measurements of unused relay

Rana ranaventures at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:08:02 UTC 2016

>> On 10 Dec. 2016, at 07:12, Rana <ranaventures at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My relay remains severely under-used. One thing that bothers me are inconsistent bandwidth measurements. Here they are:
>> Atlas “advertised” (which is actually supposed to be “measured”?:   100 KB/s =                                 ~ 800,000 bit/s
>
>This is the minimum of:
>* the bandwidth rate,
>* the bandwidth burst, and
>* the observed bandwidth (the maximum bandwidth your relay has recently
> sustained over a 10 second period).
>* the consensus weight, converted to a bandwidth figure (I think?).
>
>If you hover over the figure in atlas, it will break it down for you.

Thanks for the tip. It says it is the actually measured bandwidth

>> “I have sent” reported in Tor log: on the average pretty stable 17 mbytes every 6 hours =               ~ 200 bit/s
>
>This is what your relay has actually sent.

Totally inconsistent with the rest

>> Atlas graphs:  1 Kbytes/s  on the average                                                                                                      ~ 8,000 bit/s
>
>This is the value that your relay reports it has sent.
>It is rounded and averaged to preserve client privacy.

This is not consistent with the 200 bit/s figure. Do you mean to say that Atlas rounds 200 bps on the average to 8000 bps on the average?

>> Consensus BW: 26 =                                                                                                                                           ~ 26,000 bit/s

>This is the low-median of the measurements of the 5 bandwidth authorities. It is a dimensionless figure that only makes sense when compared with other relay consensus weights.

Can't comment because I have no idea what the formula is, therefore this figure is meaningless to me.

>> Average upload bw reported by arm: 100 kb/s =                                                                                         ~ 100,000 bit/s

>I suspect this is actually kilobytes, and is the same as the atlas figure. (They use the same backend library.)

This would not be consistent at all with actual reported upload of 17 mbytes in 6 hours which as I said is pretty constant. The ~100 Kb/s average bit rate figure reported by arm lingers for HOURS. This rate,s 17 MB would have been sent in THREE MINUTES. If the rate were 100 kbyte/s as you suggest then it would take the relay 22 SECONDS to send what it claims it is sending in 6 hours.

>> Makes zero sense.

Still doesn't. Why do Tor and Tor-related projects such as arm  publish all these TOTALLY inconsiostent figures? If they want to confuse the adversaries I doubt that it worked, but they sure as hell were highly successful in confusing me :)